Normal view

Channel rescue brings Burnham’s border pledge into focus

4 August 2026 at 17:33

French and British authorities rescued more than 150 migrants from a distressed boat crossing the English Channel Tuesday after the vessel’s engine caught fire.

The incident came less than a day after U.K. Prime Minister Andy Burnham vowed his government would be “relentless” in curbing small-boat crossings.

The vessel left France on Monday night. During the overnight crossing, five people accepted assistance from French rescue crews, but the remaining passengers refused and continued toward Britain.

On Tuesday morning, French maritime authorities said in a statement that the boat’s engine “caught fire” and its structure “deteriorated very rapidly,” triggering an immediate mayday call.

All 157 people on board were brought to safety and returned to Boulogne-sur-Mer in France.

The French maritime prefecture added that when migrants are “determined to reach the United Kingdom” they often refuse assistance and accept it only in “situations of extreme urgency.” No deaths were reported.

The incident “underlines the terrible dangers of small boat crossings,” a U.K. government spokesperson said in a statement seen by POLITICO on Tuesday. Britain will “continue to work relentlessly with the French and our partners overseas to prevent these perilous journeys,” the spokesperson added.

Burnham visited Dover on Monday, saying his two-week-old government was already making progress in tackling irregular migration. “People want to see this issue addressed,” he said, pointing to a doubling of enforcement officers targeting smuggling gangs on both sides of the Channel. But he also called for “a system that offers safe routes for people.” More than 2,000 migrants have reached Britain by small boat since Burnham entered Downing Street.

The rescue came as migration climbed back to the top of Europe’s political agenda following the arrival of 72,000 people in Ceuta last week. After days of governments trading blame, EU interior ministers closed ranks behind Spain at an emergency meeting Tuesday, insisting the Schengen zone had never been at risk and calling for closer coordination in responding to future border crises.

Poland appeals €1.3B Pfizer vaccine ruling

3 August 2026 at 18:28

Poland on Monday appealed a Brussels court judgment ordering it to take delivery of roughly 64 million unwanted Covid-19 doses and pay Pfizer about €1.3 billion. Warsaw also asked judges to freeze the ruling’s provisional enforcement while the challenge is heard.

“The decision of the court of first instance does not take into account all the relevant factual and legal circumstances of the case,” the Health Ministry said in a statement. It added that Poland would use “all legal means of defense,” but declined to disclose its arguments or evidence, citing the need to protect the state’s interests.

The ruling which Poland appealed relates to a 2021 agreement the European Commission negotiated with Pfizer on behalf of EU countries. Poland stopped accepting vaccine deliveries in 2022, citing collapsing demand and the impact of Russia’s war against Ukraine. Pfizer sued Poland and Romania the following year. In April 2026, a Brussels court ruled that Warsaw remained bound by the contract and ordered it to pay roughly €1.3 billion, plus interest and legal costs, for the undelivered doses.

Pfizer defended the Belgian judgment, which it told POLITICO reflected “the importance of the contractual obligations that underpinned a successful European pandemic response, built on the principle of solidarity between Member States.” The company said it was taking “appropriate steps” to ensure compliance through “established legal enforcement mechanisms,” adding that those efforts followed “years of discussions and significant flexibility to accommodate Member States’ circumstances.”

Paris court rejects pro-Kremlin TV star’s appeal against expulsion

3 August 2026 at 15:20

A Paris court on Monday rejected Russian television star Xenia Fedorova’s appeal against a ruling that she must leave the country, a week after French authorities accused her of acting as “a conduit for disinformation campaigns” orchestrated by Moscow to “destabilize public order.”

The former head of Kremlin-backed RT France, who has been under house arrest in Paris since Wednesday, challenged three government measures: the expulsion order, a requirement that she remain in Paris and report to police daily, and a six-month asset freeze. But an administrative court ruled she had failed to demonstrate any of these measures caused her immediate and serious harm.

The former RT France chief was a regular commentator on media platforms owned by conservative French billionaire Vincent Bolloré — including CNews and Europe 1 — where her Russia-friendly views on Ukraine, NATO and European security had come under growing scrutiny ahead of the country’s 2027 presidential election.

Fedorova on Friday took to social media to reject the allegations, accusing President Emmanuel Macron’s government of “political pressure” and “censorship of opinions that do not align with the official narrative,” insisting she had merely exercised her right to express her views after living in France for nearly a decade.

On Monday, she said she intends to legally challenge the measures, but will not return to France until her ban from the country is suspended or overturned.

Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez defended the expulsion last week, saying Fedorova “simply relays Russian propaganda” that seeks “to undermine the democratic functioning of France,” while Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot has described her as “a proven propagandist, who serves as a relay for Kremlin disinformation.”

Monday’s ruling only concerned Fedorova’s request to suspend the measures, not the merits of the expulsion order itself.

This article has been updated.

Iran signals no immediate U.S. talks after Trump says negotiations to resume

3 August 2026 at 11:53

Iran said Monday there are currently no direct talks with the United States, after President Donald Trump said negotiations would resume. Speaking at his weekly news conference, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran’s current negotiations are limited to Oman and focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz.

“Our negotiations are with Oman. We are focused on an understanding on a route that will ensure the safe passage of shipping through the Strait of Hormuz,” Baghaei said at a news conference, according to Iran’s state news agency IRNA.

He added that “the focus of the negotiations with Oman will be on this issue,” while “the issues related to Iran and the United States should be examined in the next stages to see where the situation will go.”

U.S. President Donald Trump said negotiations with Iran would resume Monday, after scrapping a planned military strike over the weekend. Speaking on Sunday, the American leader also refused to set a deadline for reaching a broader deal with Tehran.

“They knew the extent of the attack because they saw it forming. Now what we’re doing is we’re talking to them in the form of a negotiation. It begins tomorrow afternoon, and we’ll see,” said Trump, talking to reporters aboard Air Force One.

Asked whether he had imposed a deadline, the U.S. president responded: “Would I rather make a deal? I’m not looking to kill people because people die, a lot of people die, and we don’t want that.”

Trump’s remarks came on the heels of his early Sunday announcement on Truth Social that the U.S. was shelving a “massive attack,” after Iran and several Middle Eastern countries asked Washington to pause military action while negotiators worked toward an agreement. He said the framework under discussion included the “Immediate, Complete, and Total OPENING OF THE HORMUZ STRAIT” and an end to Iran’s nuclear threat, adding that Israel had also agreed to pause strikes.

Baghaei stated there would be “no significant change” in the situation in the Strait of Hormuz as long as Iran remained under what he described as U.S. military pressure.

❌