Normal view

Hungary faces energy crunch as drought shuts down Paks nuclear plant, PM says

2 August 2026 at 14:25

Hungary faces “the most critical five days” ahead as a record drought in Central Europe has forced Budapest to shut down a nuclear power plant that generates 40 percent of the country’s electricity, Prime Minister Péter Magyar said Sunday.

“As our electricity system will face an enormous strain, I ask everyone to pay even closer attention to each other from Monday,” Magyar said in a video appeal.

The warning comes after Magyar announced over the weekend that the last operating reactor units at the Paks Nuclear Power Plant south of Budapest would be taken offline because of the continued drop in water levels in the Danube River, which the plant uses for cooling.

“Due to the further drop in the Danube’s water level,” Magyar wrote Saturday, “tomorrow it will be completely shut down for the first time in 44 years.”

The Soviet-built Paks facility remains the backbone of the country’s power system. The loss of output has triggered national energy-saving measures and offers of support from regional neighbors.

A prolonged outage would cripple Hungary’s electricity supply at a time when temperatures are forecast to rise above 40 degrees Celsius in Budapest next week amid an ongoing heatwave and drought across Europe.

Magyar warned the shutdown could trigger an emergency at a time of high summer demand: “An energy crisis situation may arise from Monday. Coordinated steps and self-restraint will be needed to avoid more severe consequences.”

The government has urged households and businesses to reduce electricity consumption during peak hours between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m., calling on people to limit their use of air conditioning and washing machines. Authorities have also prepared an emergency plan to temporarily restrict consumption at industrial facilities on a rotating basis, while increasing output from other power plants.

The European Commission said Friday it was closely monitoring the situation and was prepared to convene an emergency meeting of its Electricity Coordination Group over the Paks shutdown.

Trump cancels strikes on Iran, says deal imminent

2 August 2026 at 11:10

U.S. President Donald Trump said late Saturday that he was canceling planned strikes on Iran pending a rapid agreement with Tehran to end the conflict in the Middle East.

“We have just been asked by Iran, and other Middle Eastern Countries, to hold off any attack in that the perimeters of a deal has been agreed to,” Trump announced in a post on Truth Social.

He said the agreement would include the “Immediate, Complete, and Total OPENING OF THE HORMUZ STRAIT” and “an end to Iran’s nuclear threat.” Trump added that Israel supported his commitment to pause strikes, contingent on “being able to rapidly make a DEAL.”

The announcement came after reports in U.S. media that Washington had been preparing new, intense strikes on Iran over the weekend, including on the country’s energy infrastructure. On Saturday the U.S. government urged Americans across the Middle East to remain alert and prepare for possible evacuations “should there be escalation” in the region.

Iran has not yet responded to Trump’s announcement and has not confirmed that a deal with Washington has been reached.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held calls Saturday night with counterparts in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, according to posts on his Telegram channel. The country’s acting defense minister, Majid Ibn al-Reza, said Sunday that Tehran would “neither be caught off guard nor remain passive,” according to state media.

Saudi Arabia, meanwhile, called for diplomacy to ease tensions. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told Trump in a phone call that dialogue should be prioritized to “de-escalate tensions” in the Middle East, Saudi state media reported Sunday.

❌