Normal view

Andy Burnham ‘not embarrassed’ by exchange with Trump aide impersonator

18 August 2026 at 14:47

LONDON — British Prime Minister Andy Burnham insisted on Tuesday he handled a message back-and-forth with someone impersonating Donald Trump’s chief of staff in the “right way.”

He told broadcasters he is not embarrassed by the incident, reiterating that “nothing of consequence” was discussed.

POLITICO first reported Monday that the U.K. prime minister had engaged with messages from somebody pretending to be Susie Wiles, a top adviser to the U.S. president. The key aide has previously been the victim of a phone hack, although the White House said the two incidents were not connected.

“All politicians are, you know, receiving these pressures and these challenges, but I did everything right,” Burnham said during a visit to Wolverhampton. “There was a minimal exchange of information of zero consequence, and it was quickly reported,” he added.

“I realized that this needed to be reported, and I did so. So I handled it in the right way,” he also said.

The incident has raised questions about potential national security vulnerabilities when it comes to the communications of senior politicians.

Defence Secretary Wes Streeting was among three Cabinet ministers whose numbers were found online by POLITICO on Monday.

Liberal Democrat MP James MacCleary on Tuesday called for an inquiry into the Burnham message exchange, which he described as a “dangerous security breach.”

In a letter to the chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee, he wrote: “This is an unacceptable breach. The security of the Prime Ministers’ communications ought to be absolute priority — and yet it appears, in this case, that routine measures to guard against these kinds of breaches were not followed.”

Burnham would not say whether the government planned to change procedures in response to the dupe, but insisted that “the correct action has been taken here and in the U.S.”

UK Labour membership plummeted under Keir Starmer

6 August 2026 at 20:48

LONDON — The ruling Labour Party lost a fifth of its members last year as Keir Starmer’s government was hit by scandal, deployed unpopular policies and was forced into a raft of U-turns.

The extent of the exodus from the governing party — which was led by Starmer until he resigned as prime minister in June after losing the support of his MPs — was revealed in Labour Party accounts published by the Electoral Commission Thursday.

The filing shows Labour recorded a membership of 264,754 in 2025 — 20 percent lower than the 333,235 figure posted for 2024.

Starmer faced a tricky 2025 after winning a landslide victory the previous year, which brought the center-left party back into power after 14 years.

He was forced into a series of policy U-turns by his party, and sacked Peter Mandelson as U.K. ambassador to the U.S. after fresh details on the closeness of his friendship with convicted sex-trafficker Jeffrey Epstein emerged.

Membership swelled under Starmer’s predecessor Jeremy Corbyn, with the party recording more than half a million Labour members at the peak of his popularity.

But under Starmer and his Chancellor Rachel Reeves, the party moved rightwards economically and on issues such as immigration and benefit payments, and expelled left-leaning party stalwarts such as Corbyn and Diane Abbott.

Such changes put the leadership at odds with its members, sections of whom are notably more left wing than the British public at large. The removal of the whip from several Labour MPs for voting against government welfare policies in 2024, and again in 2025, were watershed moments.

In 2023, Starmer told members: “If you don’t like the changes that we’ve made, I say the door is open, and you can leave.”

New Labour leader and prime minister Andy Burnham will be under pressure to reverse the decline in membership.

A Labour party spokesperson said: “Labour is bringing back hope.”

“The Labour Party is proud to be powered by our dedicated Party members and supporters who fight day after day for Labour victories to change the country for the better,” the spokesperson added.

Labour’s declining membership comes in stark contrast to that of the left-wing Green Party, which claims its membership grew from 68,000 in September 2025 to more than 200,000 in March 2026. Many are likely to be former Labour members. It doesn’t record an official figure in its accounts.

The Conservative Party does not release membership numbers, but its accounts show that its income from members dropped from £ 2.1 million in 2024 to £ 1.7 million in 2025.

Joe Stanley-Smith contributed to this report.

❌